From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Benjamin A Abrahamse
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:01 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] cm period/no period and sample records

All of this may be true but due to reasons discussed rather exhaustively in
this very thread a dotless "cm" will only show up under certain circumstances
anyhow.  To adequately explain why it doesn't requires informing users (a) that
it is a "symbol" or "ligature", not an abbreviation, even though it appears to
be otherwise; and, (b) what ISBD is, why ISBD is, and why a standard that is
sometimes used to display metadata affects the way we record data in a shared
database.

And in the end, "cm" and "cm." are both instantly recognizable--even by
benighted Yankees such as myself--as representing "centimeters."  The good news
I suppose is that it would be the rare user indeed who looks this carefully at
a 300 field.

--b

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems
MIT Libraries