Hi Sean,

Below is my analysis, based purely on a class project I did which included
this topic.  I have no practical experience (and no knowledge of existing
AACR2 practice) so take this with a grain of salt.

I think you first need to determine whether the person publishes under
their title of nobility, i.e. whether the person "uses his or her title
rather than surname in resources" s/he created/contributed to (9.2.2.14).
To me, with my lack of knowledge about British titles of nobility in
general, it is tricky because many of the "proper names" of titles are the
same as the surname (e.g. the Baron Byron, George Gordon Byron).  According
to Wikipedia (sorry!) this is the case for most "life peers" [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_peer#Forms_of_address].

Option (1)

If the person does publish under their title, then the preferred name will
begin with the "proper name."  Going by RDA's examples, the "proper name"
would be something like Byron, Bolingbroke, Willoughby de Broke, or Collins
of Mapesbury.  Then, the preferred name continues with the "personal name"
in direct order, such as Lawrence Collins in this case.  (Depending on how
the name appears in resources associated with him, it might be Lawrence A.
Collins or Lawrence Antony Collins.)  Finally, the preferred name includes
the rank, which is Baron (not Lord).

preferred name = Collins of Mapesbury, Lawrence Collins, Baron

Then, you go to 9.19 to construct the access point.  The access point
starts with the preferred name.  Then you make additions.  Here, 9.19.1.2
(for Titles or Other Designations) actually doesn't apply anymore since
we've already included the title of nobility in the preferred name.  But we
can still add a date of birth (9.19.1.3): 1941-.

authorized access point = Collins of Mapesbury, Lawrence Collins, Baron,
1941-
in MARC: 100 1# $a Collins of Mapesbury, Lawrence Collins, $c Baron, $d
1941-

Option (2)

If the person does not publish under their title, then they can be treated
as just a person with a surname (9.2.2.9).  (You still need to decide what
to do with the middle name.)

preferred name = Collins, Lawrence
or, preferred name = Collins, Lawrence A.
or, preferred name = Collins, Lawrence Antony

Then, RDA says to record the title of nobility in a separate element
(9.4.1.5), since in this case we have not included the title of nobility as
part of the preferred name.

title = Baron Collins of Mapesbury
title = Baron

(I think the first is right, although some of the examples in RDA seem to
imply that the title only includes the rank, Baron.)

For the access point, you may consider adding the title (9.19.1.2) onto the
preferred name.  However, this is tricky because it says only to do this
for nobility "if the title or part of title commonly appears with the
name."  To me, this is a condition that would've caused us to choose option
(1) above in the first place.  It could be that 9.19.1.2 would be employed
for people who publish primarily under their personal name, but their name
still appears with the title of nobility in other places in their resources
(not in the statement of responsibility).  Or, it could mean that the
condition for option (1) requires that the resources only say "by the Baron
Collins of Mapesbury" and omit his given name entirely.  In any case, if
you do add the title to the preferred name:

authorized access point = Collins, Lawrence, Baron Collins of Mapesbury,
1941-
 MARC: 100 1# $a Collins, Lawrence, $c Baron Collins of Mapesbury, $d 1941-

An example in RDA from 9.4.1.5 and 9.19.1.2 for Frank van Borselen, graaf
van Oostervant is a little clearer because in his case, Borselen (or van
Borselen) is a different word than Oostervant.

When you do get a clearer/better answer than mine, please send it along!

Thanks,

Arthur Liu
art....@gmail.com