Joan,

I've just reread the principle of differentiation (0.4.3.1), asking myself whether this could somehow be stretched to include the matter of readabiliy and the problem of mixing up different kinds of punctuation, but I don't think it works. This principle seems to be all about distinguishing between different (but similar) resources or other entitities.

Something like the "principle of making things easy for the user" seems to be sadly missing from RDA. If we look through 0.4.2.1 "Responsiveness to user needs", we find a list of things that users should be able to do with our data, but nowhere does it say that they should find it easy to do this ;-)

Maybe this is supposed to be self-evident. Still, one wonders why the creators of RDA didn't simply borrow the first and highest principle from the "Statement of international cataloguing principles": "Convenience of the user. Decisions taken in the making of descriptions and controlled forms of names for access should be made with the user in mind."
http://www.ifla.org/files/assets/cataloguing/icp/icp_2009-en.pdf

I'd always assumed that RDA's "responsiveness to user needs" was the equivalent to this "convenience of the user". But now that I look more closely, I find that the Statement of international cataloguing principles expresses this idea in a much more general and universal way than RDA does.

Heidrun

Joan wrote:

I wander if the issue could be covered in the principle of differentiation. How do we relate the transcription of punctuations included in a title to users' tasks?

Thanks,

Joan Wang

Illinois Heartland Library System