As I said yesterday, in my opinion RDA takes a lot of things for granted, which makes it difficult to apply outside of the Anglo-American world. Sometimes RDA seems to believe things are universal, when in fact they are not. The other day I noticed a small detail, which illustrates this quite well. I found the whole thing rather funny - and perhaps you will as well.

Here's one of the examples from 3.4.1.9 (Subunitsin resources consisting of more than one unit):
3 microfiches (120 frames each)

In the German translation (soon to appear in the RDA toolkit), this example is given like this:
3 Mikrofiches (120 Einzelbilder jeweils)

For those of you who know some German, this will look as weird as it does to me. You wouldn't say "120 Einzelbilder jeweils" in German, because "jeweils" (or the more common "je", which I would have preferred here) is never put /after/ the number, but always in front of it. So, to render it in idiomatic German, the example should read like this:
3 Mikrofiches (jeweils 120 Einzelbilder)

So, is this then simply a mistake in the German translation? Well, that's up to debate.

Let's have a closer look: 0.11.4 addresses "instructions that specify the use of an English-language term (e.g., publisher not identified) or provide a controlled list of terms in English", allowing agencies to "modify such instructions to reflect their own language or script preferences and replace the English-language terms specified in RDA with terms appropriate for use in their context. Authorized translations of RDA will do likewise". So, you'd think that it shouldn't have been a problem to give the examples in idiomatic German.

But there's one snag: The text of the rule in 3.4.1.9 explicitly states: "specify the number of subunits in each unit as instructed under 3.4.1.7 followed by /each/." So, RDA simply takes it for granted that other languages work as English does, and assumes that the equivalent of "each" in another language will also have to be placed after the number. I assume that the colleague who did the translation didn't feel she was allowed to change the meaning of the words here, in order to reflect common German usage.

I have now asked that the translation be changed, arguing that it would definitely be in the "spirit" of 0.11.4 to adapt the text of 3.4.1.9 in such a way that we can use idiomatic German, and I hope that my wish will be granted in the near future. But my point is: We wouldn't have had this problem in the first place, if RDA hadn't taken it for granted that all languages work like English. In my opinion, the rule should have simply said "adding /each/" (which would have left it open whether "each" or its equivalent stands before or behind the number) instead of "followed by /each/".

Heidrun

I wrote:
Kevin,

I realize that I must sound like some sort of grouch to you, always finding fault with RDA - and, what's more, whining about things American catalogers don't mind at all. And I'm afraid that you (and probably many others here on the list) will have got rather tired of hearing me say, again and again, like a parrot: The Germans do it differently, the Germans do it differently.

Obviously, things like the full stop here will look absolutely natural to you, as they simply continue the Anglo-American practice. And mind: I do not in the least deny that the full stop is a perfectly legitimate way of doing it. What I object to is the assumption that it's the /only/ legitimate way of doing it.

For example, multipart monographs are catalogued in a hierarchical way according to our tradition. This means that the title of the whole and the title of the part are not even stored in the same record, let alone connected by a full stop. They are different data elements recorded in separate categories of different, hierarchically linked records. Of course, we can (if desired) create a display where they are shown separated by a full stop. But we certainly don't want to have this full stop "hard-wired" in our data.

Well, you might say: Tough luck! If you Germans want to use RDA, then you will simply have to start typing in these full stops, because the rule says so. But in times of the semantic web and a "bibliographic framework transition initiative" (how I love this phrase), one must wonder if this really is the only way.

If RDA truly wants to become international and open to new communities (not only library communities from other cultural and language backgrounds, but also, perhaps, communities from quite different areas) then I believe it must stop taking so many things for granted. To my mind, RDA often shows a very good approach, e.g. in the idea of separating the data recorded and the way it is presented. But the next minute I am disappointed, because RDA just doesn't go through with its aims in any consistent way. This may not be much of a problem for those changing from AACR2 to RDA, but it makes things very difficult if you are migrating to RDA from a non-Anglo-American standard.

Heidrun