Joan,

Thanks for your ideas.

Are these people are members of the corporate body? If they are, there is an optional omission in RDA.

/If the members of a group, ensemble, company, etc., are named as well as the name of the group, etc., omit the names of the members from the statement of responsibility.
/

I wasn't aware of this rule, but now that I've looked at it I'd say it is a very special case for music groups and such like. Also, it only applies to the statement of responsibility, i.e. the bibliographic description.

True, usually catalogs of collections are prepared by people who work at the museum in question. I just checked: John Arthur Gere was a curator at the British Museum, and Amin Jaffer worked at the Victoria & Albert when the book was published (now he's with Christie's). But still, both people are/were eminent art historians with a name in their own right. Certainly they cannot be, as it were, eliminated from the record.

And in fact, they weren't: If you have a look at LC's records, you find Gere and Jaffer not only recorded in the statement of responsibility, but also as added entries:
http://lccn.loc.gov/95132400
http://lccn.loc.gov/2002279060

Oops, just noticing: In LC's AACR2 record, Jaffer has main entry instead of added entry, and the museums do not have entries at all. It's the same when you look at the catalog of the British Library. Why, that's certainly funny - but I assume it is a mistake, because I believe there was no change intended from AACR2 to RDA in this respect.

Anyway, I'm certain that RDA catalogers will make an entry under people like Gere and Jaffer as well. This makes it even harder for me to understand why we aren't allowed to see them as a second (or third) author.

/
/
I also find this in the statement you sent yesterday: /

/
/6.2.1.1./
/Corporate body as creator: A corporate body should be considered as /
/the creator of those works that express the collective thought or activity of the corporate body, or when the wording of the title, taken in conjunction with the nature of the work clearly implies that the corporate body is collectively responsible for the content of the work./ _/This applies even if a person signs the work in the capacity of an officer or servant of the corporate body/_.

I guess, the reason is that it is a work from the collective wisdom and effort of a corporate body. So members' roles are included in the collective wisdom and effort. Just my guess :)

Thanks for drawing my attention to this bit in the Statement of international cataloguing principles. Indeed I can think of cases where this may be true, and I believe the phrase "if a person signs the work in the capacity of an officer or servant of the corporate body" is the key to understand which cases are meant. Probably, the person in question would be identified by something like "X, secretary of the Y Society" in the source of information.

But in the cases I'm thinking of, you might not even realize that the persons named as authors work in the museum in question. Also, I find it hard to think of such a catalog as something which has arisen from the collective effort of the whole museum. Note also that the museum case doesn't belong to the type "works that record the collective thought of the body" (RDA 19.2.1.1.1 b), but to the type "works of an administrative nature dealing with any of the following aspects of the body itself" (19.2.1.1.1a). So, it doesn't really seem to fit. (By the way: I don't really see how a catalog of the kind mentioned, which is most certainly aimed at the general public, could be considered to be a work "of an administrative nature"??).

Heidrun