Dear all,

This is a fairly novice question but one where I would welcome some
clarification, especially as far as the RDA text goes. Apologies if this has
been raised before (I'm sure it must have been). I am looking at a couple of
contentious aspects of the statement of responsibility relating to the title
proper where I think there are three areas that require some decision on policy:

1.       Which (or how many) statements of responsibility are to be regarded as
core.

2.       Statements of responsibility naming more than three persons (2.4.1.5).

3.       Abridging statements of responsibility (2.4.1.4).

It is the third one which confuses me most. The rule states "Transcribe a
statement of responsibility in the form in which it appears on the source of
information." The examples that follow contain no titles (Mr, Dr, Earl) except
those that would have been retained under AACR2 and no affiliations
(...professor of History at the University of Biggleswade) at all.

However, the Optional Omission beneath which says "Abridge a statement of
responsibility only if it can be abridged without loss of essential
information" has examples with all of this information in, e.g. "by Harry Smith
// Source of information reads: by Dr. Harry Smith". The option seems curiously
vague about what can/should be omitted if the option is followed, and why.

Is this basically a case of the examples of the main rule not catching up and
so being illustrative of AACR2 rules rather than RDA? I notice, looking at the
really helpful LC training materials and BL workflow, that the point is made
more explicitly there so I think I am happy with what is intended, but I am
uncomfortable having to interpret the meaning of a rule based on third party
training and policy documentation, if that makes sense.

Many thanks,

Tom

---

Thomas Meehan