It would be useful to enumerate how RDA treats all the different types of
statements of responsibility.

In a similar situation, RDA limits the use of the statement of responsibility
relating to series. RDA instructs to include it only if necessary for the
identification of the series. In many situations, a book in a series by one
author will have a statement of responsibility relating to title proper, and a
series statement which may be accompanied by the author's name on another page.
The logic in RDA for limiting the recording of the statement of responsibility
relating to series would seem to be because it's redundant when responsibility
for a title in the series is already indicated in the statement of
responsibility relating to the title proper.

It's always assumed that there must be a relationship between the title proper
and those named in the statement of responsibility. Carried forward from AACR2
is the idea of words for function or role in statements of responsibility, and
RDA 2.4.1.7 instructs to add words to clarify the role of those named in the
statement of responsibility and the title, designation of edition, etc.

In the case of recording "with contributions by ..." for authors responsible
for separate works that could be included in a contents note, then it might
make sense to add it as a statement of responsibility relating to title proper
if the contents note doesn't include statements of responsibility. But it would
also be important to clarify the role of those named in the statement of
responsibility as creators of separate works in a compilation. Without such
clarification then one would incorrectly assume that those named are
responsible in a collaborative sense for the work (with the first named
becoming part of the authorized access point for the work, i.e. the main entry
heading).

I don't think there's any way around this--  the "with contributions by ..."
statement for names associated with separate titles in a contents note is not
the same as a statement of responsibility listing names that are jointly
responsible for the content, and where the first named becomes part of the
authorized access point for the work (which, unlike in AACR2, happens 100
percent of the time in RDA because of the elimination of the rule of three for
statements listing four or more persons or bodies responsible for the content
of the work).

To avoid any confusion I would put such a statement into the RDA element Note
on Statement of Responsibility (just a 500 note in MARC). RDA 18.6 provides an
instruction to make such notes to explain relationships. I would reference the
RDA principles of accuracy (RDA 0.4.3.5) and of attribution (RDA 0.4.3.6) which
would mean recording data that reflects attributions of responsibility in such
a way to clarify responsibility for creative or intellectual content.

List of instructions in RDA related to statements of responsibility:

Statement of responsibility (for all situations)

- if more than one, record in order indicated by the sequence, layout or
typography

- if sequence is ambiguous, record in the order that makes the most sense

Statement of responsibility relating to title proper

- first statement is core

- if not recording all statements, give preference to those identifying
creators of the intellectual or artistic content; in case of doubt, record the
first statement

Statement of responsibility relating to the edition

- in case of doubt, or if there is no designation of edition, record as
statement of responsibility relating to title proper

- when describing the first edition, record all statements as statements of
responsibility relating to title proper

Statement of responsibility relating to named revision of an edition

- generally apply; no special instructions

Statement of responsibility relating to series

- record only if considered necessary for identification of the series

Structured description (such as a Contents note, which can include statements
of responsibility)

- full or partial description of the related resource using the same order of
elements that is used for the resource being described

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library