Hi Kevin and all,

I just finished the first draft of a document for our local RDA training
that addresses this exact issue.

In my take on it, for the situation you describe only the first 264 below
with second indicator 1 is needed; if you also cannot identify any
distribution or manufacture data or the copyright date, just don't use
those 264 fields (with second indicator 2, 3, or 4).  I base this on the
fact that place of publication, publisher's name, and date of publication
are core elements, period, no qualification, whereas the rest is all "core
if".

I would say I'm happy to be proven wrong about this, but that would be a
lie.  Having to use more fields when you have less data is just crazy.

Trina

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Kevin M Randall <k...@northwestern.edu>wrote:
[...]

> We had the case of a resource that contained no identifiable data
> regarding its emanation, and could have come from almost anywhere in the
> world.  What we have so far (in a MARC encoding of the data) is:
>
>         264 #1 $a [Place of publication not identified] : $b [publisher
> not identified], $c [not before 1992]
>
> The statements on core status don't say "If ... is not recorded".  Rather,
> they say "If ... is not identified".  Thus it seems to me that a strict
> reading of the instructions would require something like:
>
>         264 #1 $a [Place of publication not identified] : $b [publisher
> not identified], $c [not before 1992]
>         264 #2 $a [Place of distribution not identified] : $b [distributor
> not identified]
>         264 #3 $a [Place of manufacture not identified] : $b [manufacturer
> not identified]

[...]

Trina Pundurs
Serials Cataloger
Library Collection Services
University of California, Berkeley
tpund...@library.berkeley.edu
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/

Proudly wearing the sensible shoes since 1990