I asked LChelp4rda this same question last year. LC's reply was that we must
remember that implicit in the definition of 'Core' is the 1.3 wording:
"elements that are applicable and readily ascertainable"

Quoting from the LC reply:
"So, for a published resource, date of publication is applicable by
definition (it was published), even though not always readily ascertainable
(which is why you are given instructions for supplying one, or using the
textual fallback).

However, not all resources (most resources?) never give information that the
manifestation has a distributor or manufacturer.  If these statements aren't
'applicable' to the resource, then they are not core, thus you wouldn't have
to record the 264s with second indicator 2 or 3 unless you were given
information that a distributor or manufacturer was involved.   In other
words, we don't assume that we have an *unknown* distributor/manufacturer."

So, LC's take on this is that a single 264_1 is sufficient, *if no
distribution or manufacture info is available*:
        264 #1 $a [Place of publication not identified] : $b [publisher not
identified], $c [not before 1992]

And that RDA does not require:
        264 #1 $a [Place of publication not identified] : $b [publisher not
identified], $c [not before 1992]
        264 #2 $a [Place of distribution not identified] : $b [distributor
not identified]
        264 #3 $a [Place of manufacture not identified] : $b [manufacturer
not identified]

Given that you and I and others have had this same question, it would be
good if the wording for these instructions could be clarified. Who wants to
suggest a proposal to CC:DA?

Deborah
Deborah Fritz
TMQ, Inc.