Thank you Mac.  I also thought not having a 700 for Garfinkle was an
error, and I will be adding one for her in my record.

After thinking on this a bit more I'm starting to feel that LC considered
this book to be a commentary and cataloged it following the rule for a
Commentary (21.13B1): "If the chief source of information of the item
being catalogued presents the item as a commentary, enter it as such (see
21.1-21.7). Make an added entry under the heading appropriate to the text"
and this is why Melammed has the main entry.  And also rule 21.6B1: " If,
in a work of shared responsibility, principal responsibility is attributed
(by the wording or the layout of the chief source of information of the
item being catalogued) to one person or corporate body, enter under the
heading for that person or body ... Make added entries under the headings
for other persons or bodies involved if there are not more than two." I
don't have a problem with following LC's assessment and having Melammed in
the 100 and Garfinkle in a 700. On the title page only Melammed is
represented as being responsible in terms of the layout, Garfinkle is only
mentioned under her maiden name in the other title information.  If
following LC's AACR2 interpretation in upgrading to RDA I'd follow rule
6.27.1.6 Commentary, Annotations, Illustrative Content, Etc., Added to a
Previously Existing Work.

I think that for Melammed I will add 3 relationship designators:
|eauthor,|etranslator,|eeditor of compilation. I would prefer something
more along the lines of |e author of added commentary, rather than |e
author, but that doesn't exist.  Is contributor a valid relationship
designator?  I don't see it in RDA itself, even though there is a MARC
Relator Code for it (ctb). I see that I.1 states "If none of the terms
listed in this appendix is appropriate or sufficiently specific, use
another concise term to indicate the nature of the relationship", and I'm
wondering how much freedom we have to coin terms, or if this is frowned
upon and we should wait for JSC to come up with new relationship
designators?

Thanks again for your help Mac!

-Dana