Hello Tom
I think the power of this change lies in the potential precision in searching.
A individual like Deepak Chopra has authored many books. He has also
contributed to, written forwards or prefaces to many more. In current systems
if you search for  Chopra, Deepak you will find a single entry (hopefully) and
a number of items listed - some from field 100 some from field 700. You will
then have to wade through the records to find which ones he actually wrote
rather than contributed to or edited.

When the RDA stuff gets going you should be able to see at the first response
to the search what role Chopra had in the genesis of the item and select
appropriately from the headings presented.

I have always thought the lack of differentiation in the role of names
associated with a particular item was unhelpful. This change allows for more
effective differentiation (hopefully - if the individual institution has
adequate control on the range of terminology used and the consistent
application of those terms).

Best wishes

Keith

Keith Trickey