Dana Van Meter <vanme...@ias.edu> wrote:

> In the case of the $4 code, you’re saying you would use just the $4 code,
> right? (And not a combination of $4 plus $e using the terminology
> accompanying the code in the MARC Code List for Relators?).  I don’t have a
> problem with using just the $4 code, I just wanted to be clear that you are
> saying you would just use the $4 code alone in cases where a term doesn’t
> yet exist in the text of RDA.

Yes, I just use the code alone.  I toyed around with employing both $e/$j
terms and $4 codes with name headings, but I came away not seeing
any advantages to it.

As a side note, my general pecking order for these name heading designators
is: RDA's appendix; if none are found there, look in the MARC relator code
list; if none are found there, I go back to RDA and use one of its
high-level terms (e.g., creator).  There are a few exceptions to this
pattern; the high-level term "publisher" is one I go to right if I'm
tracing one of those in the record.  And I realize that I could look at
other lists too, but I have neither the time or energy for that nor is
there any good way in MARC to point at the $4 or $e/$j and say, "Hey, this
code/term came from that list way over there."

--
Mark K. Ehlert
Minitex