RDA 2.5.14 provides an optional addition: “If a resource lacks an edition
statement but is known to contain significant changes from other editions,
supply an edition statement, if considered important for identification or
access. Indicate that the information was taken from a source outside the
resource itself”.  As Deborah mentioned, it meets the principle of
differentiation.

 Thanks,

Joan Wang
Illinois Heartland Library System