Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 11:40:26 -0400
From: Jean Marie Taylor <jtay...@wrl.org>
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] 1st original RDA record - questions

Hello,

I just entered my first originally cataloged RDA record to OCLC and have a
couple of questions if the group would be so kind
to review my record.

I apologize for bringing up the self-published issue again so soon after the
previous discussion but here are my questions:

In my record:

264 1[Place of publication not identified] : ǂb [David Estes], ǂc [2012]
264 2[North Charleston, South Carolina] : ǂb [CreateSpace]

What is on the resource is:
c2012 David Estes
Made in the USA, Lexington, KY, 28 June 2013

Amazon has:
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (November 23, 2012)

So for the publication statement I have:
264 _1 $a [Place of publication not identified] : $b [David Estes], $c [2012]

The author travels all over the world so I didn't think I could use [United
States].

For the distribution statement I have:
264 _2 $a [North Charleston, South Carolina] : $b [CreateSpace]

I looked up the location of the corporate headquarters of CreateSpace on the
Internet.

[North Charleston, South Carolina] is required because the place of publication
is not
provided in the publication statement. Is that correct?

[CreateSpace] is not technically required because there is a publisher in the
264 _1 but
I wanted CreateSpace in the record.  The date is not required in the 264 _2 for
the same reason.
Is that correct?

Also, I think of CreateSpace as more of a manufacturer than a distributor (with
Amazon
being the distributor) but the recent discussion on the list has been referring
CreateSpace as a distributor and CreateSpace does sometimes refer to themselves
as a distributor.

The other problem is there is a long short story (41 p.) contained in the book.

I made this 500 note.
Includes Anna's story, a dwellers short story and an excerpt from Fire country,
book 1 of
The country saga.

I added a 700 12 Estes, David. $t Anna's story.

I consulted 25.1 and J.5.4 in RDA and the MARC mappings for the whole-part
relationship
information. I did see examples in the LCPS for something like this:

700 1_ $i Contains (work): $a Estes, David. $t Anna's story.
but that wouldn't validate. Also the 774 can be used I think.

What is the current "best practice" in this area?

Thanks a lot for your consideration.

Jean Marie Taylor
Technical Services
Williamsburg Regional Library