From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Joan Wang
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2013 9:21 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] 1st original RDA record - questions

> In this case the second indicator value 2 tells you that the thing in that
> field is
> contained within the resource described, but the coding alone can't tell you
> whether it is a work or an expression, so the relationship designator allows
> us to
> be more specific.
You can tell whether it is a work or an expression by the heading (authorized
access point). If the heading has elements for an expression such as a
language, it contains an expression (with the second indicator 2). Otherwise,
it contains a work. My interpretation of RDA Appendix I.1, guidelines for using
relationship designators.

Anyway, more work is always good :)

Thanks,
Joan Wang