Mac said:

It does not matter to me, or patrons I suspect, whether one uses
$c[19]61. $c[1961] or $c1961.  It *is* important that the whole year
be there, since one should not have to wait for a note to know whether
it is 1761, 1861, or 1961.  A little pragmatism is in order  here!  To
transcribe "'61" as opposed to recording the whole year serves no
purpose.

Quite. That's why I voted for recording all four digits, i.e. "1961".

Having looked at RDA again, I think the most relevant rule here is 1.8.2, where it says to "record numerals in the form preferred by the agency". As per 1.8.1, this also applies to the date of production. The preference of our agencies is to record a year as an arabic numeral with four digits.

So, in my opinion, changing "61" to "1961" here is similar to changing a date given in Roman numerals to the preferred form. We do not mark that either. But it would, of course, be possible to add a note saying "Year given as "61" on the resource", just as you could write a note "Year given in Roman numerals", if you think users would be interested in this information (personally, I don't think they would be).

A resource which only has a copyright year falls in a different category, I believe. Because there, you do not have a year of publication at all. True, there is year, but it's a year for something else (the copyright), and from that you're deducing that the publication year is identical. So bracketing is in order here (although, in German cataloging, we do not use brackets in this case at all, and as far as I know, no user has ever complained about it). But in the case of the etching, I claim that the production year is actually there, only the artist didn't use the preferred form with the four digits.

As I said, for me the case is not one of a supplied date. But I concede that a second interpetation is possible: You might feel that it's not obvious that "61" here is a shorthand form for "1961", and that you need some sort of deduction from other clues to decide that this is a work from the 20th century. Then you could argue that the year of production is not given in the resource, and that therefore you have to supply it. If this is way you want to go, I think it would be better to bracket the whole year. But I really think it would be "cataloging overkill".

Well, as Mac already said, in the end it doesn't matter so much whether the catalog record shows "1961", "[1961]" or "[19]61", as long as all four digits are shown.

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.