>From that, I suppose I could add another possibility:
> 300  |a 1 comic book (ix, 45 pages) : |b color ; |c 24 cm

This I think is a good fit.

One could say that neither Extent of Text nor Extent of Still Image apply for a
comic book or graphic novel as the resource is a hybrid of content types and so
one would not be forced to use either subset of instructions.

Who says we should treat a comic book as an exception for recording extent in
RDA 3.4.1.3? If it's not an exception then the main instruction applies. The
main element is still called "Extent" which is used when we don't use "Extent
of Text" or "Extent of Still Image." Using the element name is a useful flag
indicating that the exceptions for extent are not being used.

Extent is first and foremost the number of carrier units. One could also apply
the alternative in RDA 3.4.1.3 and just say instead of 1 volume:

1 comic book

For the number of subunits there is no specific example matching a comic book
in the cases listed in 3.4.1.7, but I wouldn't take the cases as exhaustive.
The cases all follow the main instruction of using the number of carrier types
as the main value for Extent. One could take the same freedom allowed in
applying as subunits the extent of a parallel counterpart (printed text in a
volume):

1 comic book (ix, 45 pages)

Colour Content is applicable.

1 comic book (ix, 45 pages) : color ; 24 cm

Because 'still image' is used for a predominant content type, and there isn't a
comparable instruction to use "chiefly illustrations" I would drop
"illustrations" altogether. Illustrative Content has a meaning restricted to
illustrations of the primary content, which doesn't make sense for a comic
book, where the primary content consists of illustrations. Also the exception
for using Extent of Text is to use it for printed text "with or without
accompanying illustrations". I would take that mean that adding "illustrations"
in 300$b means we're adding it because it accompanies the text, and if that's
the case then the Extent should probably also be Extent of Text, which would
mean we couldn't use "1 comic book."

In RDA elements:

Content Type: text
Content Type: still image