Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 10:39:09 -0700
From: J. McRee Elrod <m...@slc.bc.ca>
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] question about supplying/devising other title information

Linda Dausch quoted AACR2:

"If the title proper needs explanation, supply a brief addition as
other title information, in the language of the title proper."

Margaret Mann's example was "Fire [poems]" I seem to recall, long
before AACR2.  This is a time honoured practice.

I have a program for an ice skating revue tour and was wondering
about supplying the term [program] as other title information.

You are correct, I think, in interpreting RDA not to provide this, to
make it easier to use harvested data without change I've been told.

I find adding a note more work than supplying the one word.

Those added words will be in Bibframe from MARC crosswalk, so I would
say this is a good instance for jury nullification in the interest of
consistency with legacy records, very long standing practice, and
patron convenience.  A note does not show up in brief display.  Do it.
Anyone who uses your record and doesn't like it, can remove it, and do
their own note.

I don't expect many to agree with me on this.   RDA makes too many
concessions to using harvested data, e.g., allowing non standard
capitalization.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger