From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of J. McRee Elrod
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:45 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Question about multiple authors on an OCLC record

I asked Michael Gorman what I should add to the MRIs concerning using the main
entry of an earlier edition as the main entry of a later edition, with a
different order of authors in the statement of responsibility.

He responded in part:

"Not sure how to respond.  It's a small point but it represents a snapping of
the fundamental Lubetzkyan principle in choosing access points--i.e., the
determination of who is chiefly responsible for the intellectual or artistic
content of the work being catalogued, and assigning other access points flowing
from that basic decision.  That snapped, the rule just says choose any access
points associated with what you are cataloguing.  No theoretical underpinning,
no *consistency of application.  In other words, that rule can't be fixed and I
would suggest the MRI's say 'ignore this rule; choose the name of the person
who is chiefly responsible for the intellectual or artistic content of the
edition of the work being catalogued as the basis for the access point' (in
this case, the author/first author of the edition of the work being
catalogued)."

I'm open to other suggestions.  But choosing the main entry on the basis of the
main entry of an earlier edition strikes me as ridiculous.  For every later
edition we catalogue, are we supposed to research the main entry of earlier
editions?  What if we have the 5th ed., and the main entry has changed before?
How far back are we supposed to go?  The first edition?  The preceding edition?
 Cheez.

As John described it, we are not to use the earlier main entry if that name is
not in the statement of responsibility of the later edition.
What if it is in the title proper as mentioned earlier, e.g., Smith's Torts,
fifth edition by Tom Jones.  Earlier entry was Smith, later Jones, now?

I seems to me our long standing tradition is to catalogue the item in hand. For
reproductions, RDA (like AACR2 but contra the LCRI) has moved in that
direction.  But in relation to later editions, it has abandoned that very basic
practice.

Like Michael, I am inclined to ignore that rule, as LAC and SLC did the
reproduction LCRI.