Jan,

Greg gave the exact reply that I would have given if I didn't have to turn off
the phone before takeoff.
You may imagine a number of cases where a "special" rule might appear to fix
things - while probably breaking a number of others. MMFF94 is one of the best
force-fields for small molecules, and I would refrain from carrying out any
modification. I myself applied such a kludge to UFF because it was failing to
optimise cyclopropanones and cyclobutanones. But in that case the failure was
dramatic - it distorted even the correct starting structure upon minimization.
This is the only reason why I finally decided to apply that kludge. This is not
the case for MMFF94: if s correct structure is provided, the correct optimised
geometry is generated. If the starting geometry is ill, the optimiser may be
caught in a local minimum and fail to generate the geometry we expect. This
happens also with QM methods, and  I would be more inclined to consider it as a
case of GIGO than a failure of the method.

Cheers,
p.