Hi Jessica,

There's no denying that linux is a steep learning curve, although I expect
that I would face similar problems were I to start working in earnest on
windows.

The problem here, I would expect, is that in a new shell your environment
variables are not set. You should add the lines

export RDBASE=opt/RDKit_2014_03_1/
export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=opt/RDKit_2014_03_1/build/lib/:usr/local/src/boost_1_55_0/libs/
export PYTHONPATH=opt/RDKit_2014_03_1/

that you typed as part of the installation system, into your .bashrc so
that every time you start a new shell/terminal or login again they are set
afresh. Incidentally, I am surprised that these aren't

export RDBASE=/opt/RDKit_2014_03_1/
export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/RDKit_2014_03_1/build/lib/:usr/local/src/boost_1_55_0/libs/
export PYTHONPATH=/opt/RDKit_2014_03_1/

i.e. with a '=/opt' rather than '=opt' since I assume you installed RDKit
into /opt.

You might at some point want to install the 'environment-modules' package
http://modules.sourceforge.net/ which makes this sort of thing much easier,
and allows convenient switching between different versions of the same
project.  This is not a standard package on ubuntu, apparently.

Regards,
Dave