On Oct 14, 2014, at 8:41 PM, Greg Landrum <greg.land...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The first thing that comes to mind, and I'm not sure that this has any
> relevance at all, is that it could be an import order thing. Does Bill import
> Chem before he imports your code?
>
> The next possibility that I can come up with is that there was something
> different in the build of your code and the RDKit on Bill's machine.

I’ve just completely rebuilt everything to ensure all are built with exactly
the same compiler.  The error persists.

As a positive control, I can create a SMILES structure within (the same) RDKit,
and manipulate (add/remove) the hydrogens.

> Either different compiler versions were used or different RDKit versions or
> different boost versions. This somehow ends up being enough to screw up the
> type recognition between the two extension modules. A check here is to be
> sure that they were built using the same environment, that Python is using
> the one you think it is, and that DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is set such that the
> correct RDKit libs are being found.

As far as I am able to tell, all of this is true (as mentioned, the paths are
hard-coded, but I also tried with manually setting $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, just in
case it mattered.  It didn’t).

I’ll poke around some more.

Thanks.

William G. Scott