Brian,

I think this is a good idea. Basically, I want to address the following two
situations:

1) A user wants to compile my C++ source code. I want to provide my source
code and Makefile, and remind to install RDKit first (I don't think we need
to mention boost, which is required by RDKit).

2) A user wants to use the binary file of my tool. So I want to use a
CMakeList.txt to generate a Makefile, which can compile my code into a
stand alone binary file without additional installation of boost and RDKit.
I will distribute these binary files. I don't think users will be sensitive
to sizes of these binary files, if they don't need to worry about boost and
RDKit.

Thanks.

Yingfeng

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Brian Kelley <fustiga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing we could fairly easily set up is a "companion" CMakeLists.txt
> for a sample C++ project that builds a test project against a built
> distribution.  It could prove useful as a basis for building C++ extensions.
>
> Basically we would hedge our bets and just link against everything :)
>
> Cheers,
>  Brian
>
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 8:47 AM, Yingfeng Wang <ywang...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Riccardo,
>>
>> Thank you very much!
>>
>> Yingfeng
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 4:08 AM, Riccardo Vianello <
>> riccardo.viane...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Yingfeng,
>>>
>>> do you use cmake to build your own project? in case you did, some cmake
>>> configuration files are usually installed together with the RDKit libraries
>>> and may help manage these details:
>>>
>>> rdkit-config.cmake
>>> rdkit-config-version.cmake
>>> rdkit-targets.cmake
>>> rdkit-targets-release.cmake
>>>
>>> The location of these files (matching the libraries installation path in
>>> the current RDKit version) should be passed on the cmake command line:
>>>
>>> $ cmake -D RDKit_DIR=/rdkit/libraries/installation/path/lib [...]
>>>
>>> And the CMakeLists.txt script can then use the information from these
>>> files to configure the build:
>>>
>>> find_package(RDKit REQUIRED)
>>> include_directories(${RDKit_INCLUDE_DIRS})
>>> [...]
>>> add_library(mylibrary [...])