Dante,

    Yes.  In principle, if one can figure out all of the possible undesired
cross
matches.

    Since my goal is to do this in RDkit and generate groups of atoms

that match, perhaps one approach is to simply use multiple RDkit pattern
matching statements (with multiple SMARTS), generate the groups of atoms,
then combine the lists, removing identical groups.

    Hmmm... Is there a more straightforward (elegant) solution?

    Regards,

    Jim Metz