On Mar 27, 2019, at 08:24, Francois Berenger <mli...@ligand.eu> wrote:
> As an open-source project, I feel rdkit is quite successful.
> So, the user community is not so small.
> Some people who cannot contribute time could contribute money to the project
> (especially if it is tax-deductible, I guess).

I think the questions are "why would they contribute money?" and "why haven't
they contributed money?".

If those questions cannot be answered well, then there's little reason to go
further down this path to the next question, which is "how do we effectively
encourage them to contribute money in the future?".

To be clear, Novartis contributed a lot of money for the RDKit development.
Roche also funded me to develop and contribute the MCS package now part of the
RDKit core, and the mmpdb project which was contributed to RDKit. These are
also financial contributions and must not be ignored, and these are not the
only two organizations which have done that.

But I honestly thought that there would be more interest in hiring my services
as a consultant, to work on further development of open source software. I feel
like there are clear economic benefits for companies to fund open source
packages.

Instead, it feels like the more open source software packages I write and
release, the fewer leads I get for new consulting work, compared to when I gave
"I wrote this in-house application for company X that no one else will ever
use" talks. Perhaps what's easily available for no cost is seen as having no
value, while that which is hidden, no matter how hacky, is treasured?

My optimism started 20 years ago, when I was still involved with the Biopython
project. My company offered commercial support for Biopython, and I had NDAs in
place with several of the other Biopython developers so we could easily be
funded to work on specific improvements that an organization might need.

I never found someone interested in providing that sort of funding for
Biopython, and it still looks like that's the case in cheminformatics.

See also 'Roads and Bridges: The Unseen Labor Behind Our Digital
Infrastructure' (ref. 53 in my paper) for further examples of the difficulties
in funding open source work.
https://www.fordfoundation.org/about/library/reports-and-studies/roads-and-bridges-the-unseen-labor-behind-our-digital-infrastructure/

> On Mar 27, 2019, at 10:06, Greg Landrum <greg.land...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If rdkit was accepted at the software freedom conservancy, I understand
> the management fee would be 10%:

There's also Software in the Public Interest, which "serves the free software
and open source community by facilitating the administrative and financial
needs of its associated projects", including the Open Bioinformatics
(ex-)Foundation.

When the OBF was created, it was common for many groups to start their own
foundations. Since most of the administrative needs are the same for the
different projects, it makes sense to consolidate.

> A question since I genuinely don't know: is it important to anyone that this
> go through a not-for-profit entity?

The OBF became a not-for-profit to make it easier to organize the BOSC
(Bioinformatics Open Source Conference) meetings. Some of the early BOSC
meetings were run out of someone's personal bank account, and he was personally
financially liable in case of problems.

Working through a non-profit makes it easier to set up things like summer
internships (a la Google Summer of Code) and travel support, because the
payment is less likely to be viewed as a way to get around employment laws.
Open Bioinformatics has a Travel Fellowship program. I don't know the details.

Looking at the report for 2018 at
http://spi-inc.org/corporate/annual-reports/2018.pdf , Open Bioinformatics
spends about $5,000/year for IT and meet ups, an "ordinary income" of $5,400,
and an equity of $85K.

There's overhead to running a non-profit, like filing paperwork, and that
requires specialized knowledge. For revenues that small, it really helps to be
affiliated with an existing umbrella organization. The OBF gave up their
incorporation in 2012 to be an SPI-associated project.

For what RDKit does now, I see no need to set up/join a foundation. T5
Informatics can organize an RDKit UGM the same way that any vendor can organize
a UGM, and company acts as the firewall to your personal finances. T5 (or Dalke
Scientific :) can also act as an intermediary if, for some reason, a company
does not wish to fund someone directly. Though you'll have your own overhead in
that case, because of the additional tax requirements in dealing with
subcontractors.

No matter what, that's going to be easier than arranging things through a
university, even Paul's.

It's only if you start getting multiple organizations interested in
contributing funding, or really want the transparency that T5 and RDKit funding
are not intermingled, where I would suggest looking at that.

Another reason is if you want RDKit-the-organization to exist develop on its
own, even without you. For example, Guido van Rossum is not the head of the
Python Software Foundation nor on its board.

Cheers,

                                Andrew
                                da...@dalkescientific.com