Hi Paul,

TFD was developed for drug-like molecules with small rings. The torsions of
ring bonds are therefore summed up into a single average value for each ring
(see Figure 1 in J. Chem. Inf. Model., 52, 1499, 2012). This makes of course
not much sense for a macrocycle and likely causes your results.

If you are interested in the macrocycle conformation alone, I would recommend
to either use ringRMSD (with or without beta-atoms) or a torsional-angle RMSD
(careful with the periodicity). The latter has the advantage that no alignment
is needed.

Examples for the use of ringRMSD with macrocycles are in the ETKDG version 3
paper (J. Chem. Inf. Model., 60, 2044, 2020) or the recent noeETKDG paper
(https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.jcim.1c01165).

Hope this helps.

Best,
Sereina