Hi Phil,

Four out of the six of utilities that we deal with here in Arizona require an external AC disconnect, and yes, we do install the plaque. About half of the utilities explicitly require it, the other half don't. I agree that is a confusing label, possibly leading service personnel to believe a mostly non-existent danger exists. Then again, what do the laws of physics and probabilities have to do with interconnection issues?

Best,
Louis Woofenden
The Solar Store
Tucson, AZ

Our utilities require an external AC disconnect between the inverter and the
point of interconnection, located next to the meter.  In the past, we have
marked this switch with the language in 690.17 (although no AHJ or utility
has required it).  Because we generally argue against the necessity of this
switch, I don't feel it is accurate to say that "terminals on both the line
AND load sides may be energized in the open position"...