Check out the following link.  Just ONE example of what the utility must deal with.

http://tdworld.com/customer_service/power_new_technology_solves/

I'm not defending the utilities.  They definitely have their faults (argh, argh), but they have some severe challenges that we are not always sensitive to.

See Ya!

Marv
Enphase Energy
707 763-4784 x7016

William Miller wrote:
William:

It was my understanding that in special circumstances, inverter manufacturers are allowed to widen the allowances for specific units.  IIRC, a letter from the utility was required.  In some inverters, a change of firmware with the more liberal settings does the job.  My memory is subject to verification.

William Miller