I got into that one a few years ago with an inspector.
He cited 110.2.
"Approved" according to article 100 means: acceptable to the AHJ.
So put article 100 into 110.2 and you get:
 "Conductors and Equipment required or permitted shall be acceptable only if
'acceptable to the AHJ' "

Basically I call these 2 sections of the code read together as the 'AHJ = The
Man' ruling.
I guess there was some politics involved in NOT putting that together for all
to see?

R. Walters
r...@solarray.com
Solar Engineer