Mac,
That helps. My best suggestion would be a Dankoff Solar Slowpump. The SunCentric solar centrifugal would be ideal if the volume of water desired was greater. Mount the pump close to and above the highest pond surface level, and use the optional 30" filter and foot valve package. Pick a model and module size to match his desired GPD. You can add an LCB but it's not necessary, given the current low cost of just oversizing the module. Specs on the Slowpump are at http://dankoff-pumps.com/dp/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/slowpump1129.pdf, or via http://dankoff-pumps.com/dp/?page_id=6. This pump is for summer use only, as it's not freeze-tolerant. Simple, long-lasting, reliable, rebuildable, domestic, proven.
Allan

Allan Sindelar
al...@positiveenergysolar.com
NABCEP Certified Photovoltaic Installer
NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
Positive Energy, Inc.
3201 Calle Marie
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507