On 2/24/2012 5:18 PM, jay peltz wrote:

Hi Allan,

Do I misunderstand you below that you are saying you don't need a LCB with a slow pump?

Thanks,

jay

Jay,
The answer turns out to be "definitely maybe".

The Slowpump spec sheet says: "A linear current booster (controller) is required to start and run in low light."

The manual says: "When working against a constant head (vertical lift) Solar Slowpump requires nearly constant
current, regardless of the voltage/speed. When low light conditions are present, the PV array
cannot supply full current. The voltage will drop to nearly zero, and the pump will “stall” (like a
truck trying to start in 4th gear). The remedy is either to add a PUMP CONTROLLER, also
called LINEAR CURRENT BOOSTER (LCB) to your system. This device will match the power
source to the load by transforming the voltage down while increasing the current delivered to the
motor (like an automatic transmission). If you are not using a controller in your non-battery
system, contact your dealer. It will greatly improve low-light performance."

See the last sentence.

So, unsure about this, I called Windy. Here's what he said: "IF the motor is being used near its capacity, AND the pump stalls due to an unrelated obstacle (not just low-light stalling), AND the fuse is NOT sized just above the normal amp draw of the motor (say a 7A fuse on a 5A draw on a motor capable of pulling 20A) THEN the motor windings could overheat before the thermal switch could trip, and destroy the motor.

So it's unlikely but possible, and probably a good idea. And it certainly lengthens the pumping day.
Allan

Allan Sindelar
al...@positiveenergysolar.com
NABCEP Certified Photovoltaic Installer
NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
Positive Energy, Inc.
3201 Calle Marie
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507