I attended a national conference and trade show several years ago on this
subject, mostly suppliers of EMP testing chambers looking for industrial and
military buyers and I found there is an entire industry out there that deals
with this kind of concern.  What started the commercial test chamber
business was not EMP concerns, but problems with early electronic ignition
systems they were testing for cars back in the early 1970's, as many new
vehicles would  do strange things including sometimes their engines would
stop if they drove near an airport and the rotating radar dish beam  swept
past.  This started commercial testing to develop shielding methods for
electronic systems for vehicles.  Of course military testing was also being
done to reduce military and aircraft electronic equipment failures when
exposed to a  high energy discharge in the  atmosphere (EMP from a nuclear
blast). EMP and solar flares basically have  the same effect on electronics
as the equipment being very near a lightning strike, same type of
electromagnetic field spread across entire frequency range.

I talked to many of the real experts and described a typical solar pv system
to see what could happen.  I won't go into all the hard data and advice I
received (some was classified at the time), but most felt since modules have
internal wire paths between cells that can handle 10 to 15 amps of current,
modules should not be damaged by EMP, solar flares, ect.  However, being
able to cause several amps of current to flow through any wiring or small
electronic circuits is more than enough energy to fry tiny metallic foil
wire paths on printed circuit boards, internal electrical paths inside
micro-chips, ect.    I also learned that even if you put an electronic
device inside a metal enclosure, if you do not have special "wave guides",
any wires that lead into this metal cage will just act like an antenna and
carry the induced currents into the equipment.  These "wave guides" and
protective enclosures can be fabricated on site if you use materials that
provide better shielding.

Based on this research I would think most pv arrays with commercial grade
modules will not have a problem, but look out for any electronic equipment,
especially if it is left connected to external array and grid wiring during
the highest potential for this energy to pass by.  Power lines will act just
like giant antennas for this energy field which will be "picked up" and
carried through the wires  to anything connected.  The best advice I could
offer a client several years ago who was really concerned was to purchase a
backup duplicate inverter and charge controller, put them in a metal storage
box having a metal to metal door with metal mesh gasket, and attach an earth
ground.  Short of being able to purchase military grade "hardened"
equipment, I say a fair chance some inverters and charge controllers will be
damaged, but the  modules and batteries will not.   Location, elevation,
external grid connections, quality of equipment earth grounding, length and
strength of energy discharge will all determine what is damaged and what is
not.

I am actually putting together an article right now related to this subject
which is based on several boxes of research I have collected over the years
on this subject, but remember, since everything today including a toaster
usually requires some type of micro-chip to work, we may not have anything
left to power even if our solar systems are not harmed!!   Side note - I
just rebuilt a 1977 Jeep CJ-5 which has a standard ignition system, manual
toggle switches for all dashboard controls,  has absolutely no electronic
display or engine sensor devices, and now has an all fiberglass body  - just
in case I am wrong!

Jeff Yago

DTI Solar, Inc.