Jesse,
We have made many battery boxes for flooded batteries of wood, although not "lumber". Years ago I made them, as I had been a carpenter in a previous life, but then I found a woodworker who could build to suit. We have long used "Baltic Birch" cabinet carcase plywood: it's 1/2" (actually 12 mm) thick, 9 plies, dimensionally stable, and comes in 61" square sheets, so works with much less waste than 4' x 8' sheets in most applications. We'd prime the inside and use EPDM or vinyl "pond liner" to line the bottom and 7" or so up the sides to contain any acid spillage. We'd use a piano hinge and high-grade door gasketing, with one or more Zephyr Power Vents (which integrate backdraft dampers into their design) and intake holes (with mouse screens) just above the liner.

It worked very well, because of the build quality. We have never had an issue with one; I have the same in my own home. You can check photos of some of them in Home Power 141, Feb/Mar 2011.

I would have the same concerns as you express with funky and leaky homemade boxes. Lumber is not a good material. Seldom have I seen a homeowner-built box done well. I guess my main point is that wood is a good material for battery boxes, but only if done well.
Allan

Allan Sindelar
al...@positiveenergysolar.com
NABCEP Certified Photovoltaic Installer
NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
Founder and Chief Technology Officer
Positive Energy, Inc.
3209 Richards Lane (note new address)