Wrenches,
Thanks to everyone who responded to my Freight Damage post.

I wouldn't wish freight nightmares on anyone, but it is somewhat comforting to
hear that most folks have run into this problem over the years.
The major takeaway seems to be that there is no substitute for a thorough
inspection of every delivery, even though that's often logistically difficult.
Also pushing back on the denied claim to see if the carrier will come around to
some kind of settlement. Given that the carrier in question is Con-way and they
are generally surly even at the local office, I don't have a lot of hope for
that, but it seems worth a try.
I'm thinking in the future it may be worth it to pay extra for lift gate
service with a call-ahead so that I can receive the deliveries personally at my
shop. It has been convenient to have my friends with a loading dock take
delivery of my shipments, but there is only so much I can ask them to do in
terms of looking for damage. In the past I have tried the tactic of having the
person signing for the freight put something like "Subject to Inspection for
Damage" on the BOL, but it's hard for that to work well when you never know who
will actually sign for the item. Of course, with this latest broken shipment,
the disclaimer didn't get on the BOL.

Thanks again.  May all your pallets arrive intact.

-Luke

Luke Christy

NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professionalâ„¢: Certification #031409-25
NABCEP Certified Solar Heating Installerâ„¢: Certification #ST032611-03
CoSEIA Certified PV Installer

Solar Gain Services, LLC
PO Box 531
Monte Vista, CO. 81144