Dave,

I can't identify your hardware, but I just wanted to comment on your
comment about hitting rafters. There are products out there that can obtain
the requisite load ratings without connecting directly to structural
members. We have had systems engineered and permitted using Ecofasten
products on low-slope roofs that fasten only to wood sheathing or metal
roof materials in 170 mph zones in Florida (ASCE 7-10, FBC 2010). I'm not
an engineer, but I've been told if there is adequate data on pull-out and
shear, you can use that data to properly design a system without hitting
rafters with the right number of attachment points. I don't like the looks
of what you pictured, but it's plausible that it was an engineered system
design. The permit drawings not matching... that is another story...

​If, for example, each of the six fasteners provide 100 pounds of pullout
strength with a safety factor, that would be good for ​12 sq ft at 50 spf
uplift per attachment. 250 fasteners would be good for about 5kW of solar.

Jason Szumlanski

​Fafco Solar​