Jason, thanks for the comment! I agree that systems could connect to just sheathing and stay on the roof- I think Zilla has a product that does this too. My concern about wind resistance stems from the fact that there appeared to be an engineer's stamp on the Unirac calcs with lag screws and then something completely different was installed in the field. It's likely that this installer has used this same mounting system in windier coastal areas so hopefully their fastener selection had some informed analysis... I didn't see any, though.

And to be clear, I'm not looking to overrule another PE if it is in fact an engineered system and it's just that the wrong set of plans got submitted to the building department.

DKC