Wrenchers,
I run into lots of Service Equipment that has a Large Service Switch which
feeds multiple Sections with the Bus bar on each section rated significantly
less than the main bus.    A specific example that I am currently looking at
has a 4000Amp Switch with a 3500 Amp Fuse which feeds 3 (1000 Amp) switchgear
sections.     How is it possible that the 3500 Amp Fuse protects the (3) 1000
Amp Sections?    In this particular case each of the 1000 Amp Sections has
between 3 and 6 fused switches on them.     The sum of those switch/fuse
ratings exceeds 1000 Amps in each case.    For reference - This service gear is
over 40 years old.

All thoughts are appreciated.
Al Frishman
AeonSolar