At an absolute minimum a current limiting the fuse at the battery bank is
required if not by the law by common sense

In banks with multiple strings in the past I have fused each string
I have seen banks in the past where a single battery failed and for lack of a
better description the others ganged up on it
The results were not pretty!

Sometimes we're dealing with thousands of dollars worth of batteries and a 30
or $35 fuse never seemed to be that big of a deal in the overall scheme of
things

I sleep better at night that way!

Just another guy's opinion,
Bob ellison