HI Dan,

All the big three have the same wiring diagrams  with a positive buss and then
breakers going out from there.
And yes there is no main disco for the DC branches.

But if your point was that the fuse could/will blow and then you have the
PV/wind connected to the inverter and could over volt it, then yes I agree.
This was actually a problem that happened to a friend using some rapid shutdown
with a trip/breaker at the battery.  It shut down the battery but the system
continued to work as the PV had enough energy to feed the inverter/loads.  And
in the really old days of the first power panels from Trace, they did wire them
the way maybe you are taking about Dan.  With the main breaker as a main, and
the PV/inverter connected on the switched side.  But then PV is connected
directly to the inverter and those old CC didn’t clamp that fast, and poof dead
inverter.  Amazingly I just “updated” a  trace PP from way back a few months
ago.

I am of the opinion ( in the minority here) that fuses are not a good addition
for protection of the conductors. They add complexity and more failure modes.
( I’ve seen class T fuse holders almost catch on fire).  And now you are going
to have to leave extra fuses $$$ and then insulated tools as well?  And as
others have pointed out, where do you mount them etc.

And in my defense, mostly my conductors are pretty short so I don’t worry about
that.  If they were going a long ways, then I might reconsider, but I’d
probably use a breaker instead.

The only time I will use them is for larger parallel battery banks, but this is
for the protection of the battery side, not the main conductors really.

my 2c.

jay

peltz power