Am I missing something? We all know of a couple notable L-ion related issues such as the Samsung cell batteries and there were 3-4 Boeing 767 batteries that flamed out but these are relatively isolated incidents compared to the hundreds of millions of L-ion batteries of that same chemistry out there that are working fine.

I have had and have heard a number of reports on this list of various levels of severity of thermal run-a-ways of LA batts, some pretty nasty. There are all sorts of protection for worst case scenarios integrated in cars, houses, woodstoves, water heaters, the list goes on. Somehow we have managed to survive the fact that there are some 300 million cars driving around with tanks of gasoline strapped to our cars.

I suspect L-ion batteries in electric cars are here for awhile. There have been very few fires in the hundreds of thousands of electric cars on the road. Last I checked, the stats were better than fires from cars with gas tanks. Of course the electric car battery has to be light. Lithium iron would never work for mobile apps. As time goes on, the industry will make L-ion batteries even safer.

Bill

Feather River Solar Electric