From: RE-wrenches [mailto:re-wrenches-boun...@lists.re-wrenches.org] On
Behalf Of Rebekah Hren
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2017 7:52 AM
To: RE-wrenches
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Off grid in Florida

I gotta say here that utilities don't control construction permits or C.O.s,
rather it is the local jurisdictional authority. So the idea that FPL is
somehow mandating grid-connection for all construction seems preposterous to
me. It is up to the individual AHJs, and the NEC has clear requirements for
stand-alone systems power supply, in fact Article 710 added a very helpful
section- 710.15(A)  on the minimum power requirements for stand-alone
systems (below). Of course, insurance, resale -  that's a different story,
but the AHJ is the one to ask about power supply requirements, not the
utility.

(A) Supply Output. Power supply to premises wiring systems shall be
permitted to have less capacity than the calculated load. The capacity of
the stand-alone supply shall be equal to or greater than the load posed by
the largest single utilization equipment connected to the system.
Calculated general lighting loads shall not be considered as a single load.

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Steve Higgins <st...@surrette.com> wrote:

> I was just in Southern Florida this week... and I asked the Same
> question of a local installer.
>
> This is what I was told:
>
> It's considered by Florida Power and Light (FPL) that if you don't
> have grid is not a "safe living environment" and thus any new
> construction must have a grid connection.
>
> I asked about the homes that are currently off grid, and the he said
> that they are grandfathered, but when those homes get sold that they
> may have to pay to connect to the grid to attain a loan or insurance..
>
> Not an expert on Florida.. but this seems like a racket that FPL is
> running, and I wouldn't doubt that this spreads to other states,
> especially if they are government owned, or subsidized.
>
> However you can put in a system that uses a battery bank as backup or
> peak shave your electricity...

> <http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
> <http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
> <http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
> <http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
> <http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
> <http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
> <http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
> <http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
> <http://www.rollsbattery.com> Steve Higgins Technical Services Manager
> m +1.206.790.5840 f +1.902.597.8447  *e* st...@surrette.com
> <#UNIQUE_ID_SafeHtmlFilter_> <http://www.facebook.com/RollsBattery>
> <http://www.facebook.com/RollsBattery> <http://www.twitter.com/
> RollsBattery>
> <https://www.youtube.com/user/RollsBattery>
> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/rolls-battery-engineering>
> <http://www.instagram.com/RollsBattery>
> <http://www.instagram.com/RollsBattery>
> <http://www.instagram.com/RollsBattery>
> ------------------------------
> CONFIDENTIALITY: The information transmitted herein is intended only
> for the addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or
> privileged material. Any unauthorized review, distribution or other
> use of or the taking of any action in reliance upon this information
> is prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please contact the
> sender and delete or destroy this message and all copies.
> ------------------------------
>
> On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 2:35 AM, RE Ellison <reelli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there any truth to the info that you can not do an off grid
> > system in Florida ?
> >
> > I have a friend assembling parts and he was told you can’t do off
> > grid in the state
> >
> > Any info out there?
> > Thanks,
> > Bob Ellison

> > List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org
> >
> > Change listserver email address & settings:
> > http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org

> > List rules & etiquette:
> > www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm

> [...]

Tel: 336.266.8800
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ 091209-85 NC Licensed

List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette: