Barton makes a good point with regards to the incoming ground water temperature
and the amount of heat required to bring it up to shower temp.  My recollection
is that ASHRAE states 20gal/person/day for the first 2 people, then 15gpd or
12gpd thereafter.  However those rates vary wildly with consumers, from those
that never bathe to the high schooler that needs 3 showers a day.  In the
northeast water heating can be up to 19% of the total household energy load for
the year.  Also, I would recommend the air source heat pump water heaters if
you have significant humidity or an on demand unit.  Water tanks are typically
under insulated and can lose 2kWh/day in standby losses.

Mike Kocsmiersky

Principal

Spirit Solar Inc.

(413) 734-1456