-------- Original message --------From: Ken Schaal <k...@commonwealthsolar.com>
Date: 11/21/18  11:36 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: RE-wrenches
<re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org> Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Ni-Fe update?
Hey alexis.Any thoughts regarding these comments about Ni-fi batteries?Ur
running them DC direct?Hope all is well. KenOn Wed, Nov 21, 2018, 2:25 PM David
Katz <dk...@backwoodssolar.com wrote:AEE Solar sold NiFe batteries from Russia
in the late 1990s.  They last a long time but were hard to use with inverters.
A 12 volt pack has 10 cells. Each cell reaches full charge at 1.7 volts so the
pack would be at 17 volts. that is 68 volts in a 48 volt pack.  inverters turn
off for over-voltage before that.  When they are operating the cells are at 1.2
volts.  The charge efficiency is about 60% when you look at watt hours in vs.
watt hours out.  They also use a lot of distilled water.  I had a set that
required watering every 3 weeks.  I did not keep up with watering once and one
of the cells exploded when the water level got below the plates.I would suggest
L-ion batteries instead.David KatzOn Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 10:37 AM Ray