When I was a C-46 contractor in California from 2000 to 2012, I used to do
about 1/3 of my business as grid-tied battery backup and off-grid. I came to
focus on the Outback solutions in general, and later the Radian 8048 and 240
A-hr AGM batteries.

That was obviously a while ago. I became an educator and a consultant helping
California K-12 school districts become more energy efficient and energy
conserving.

Nonetheless, I had a left-over client that was working through a full-house
“gut and rebuild”. I recommended the most efficient lighting, A/C, fridges. I
helped him create dedicated branch circuits should he want to back-up critical
loads. I designed a SMA/LG 12.4 kW roof mount system together with a 400 A
240/120 V split phase service panel. We were ready for battery back up and also
told him that there was a new program – California SGIP. One-half of his
service panel remains untouched.

So with the SGIP Program, I put in a reservation to Southern California Edison
for a 8 kW / 16 kWh (Sonnen ECO-16 -- based)  “smart storage” system. The guys
at Sonnen made a number of faux pas, so we went looking elsewhere.

I really like the SMA SB inverters. The three MPP inputs, the secure power
supply. So I thought since SMA claimed to have a “Sunny Boy Storage” system
that was SGIP-compliant, and had taken this new product on a eight-city road
show, we were “in like Flynn”.

Fast forward: I have spoken to my sales rep at Wesco, and FIVE – count them
FIVE -- people at SMA Sales and presales Tech Support , and not one person
claimes to have knowledge of the Sunny Boy Storage system. Have I gone blind,
dum and crazy?

I understand that StorEdge product has traction and I am ready to jump ship.
What am I missing?

Peter Parrish

Peter T. Parrish
Calofornia Solar Engineering