Jay,

I faced this issue recently with a Blue Ion system. Blue Planet tech support sent me a clear description of the solution worked out by a Utah installer, Gardner Energy in West Haven, that was brilliant. It used an 18W and a 24W reptile terrarium heater placed between layers of batteries (pet store), a $15 Thermo-Cube thermostatically controlled plug-in outlet (hardware or farm supply), and a roll of Reflectix mylar-coated bubble-wrap insulation (Home Depot) that lined the steel battery enclosure on its interior.

Allan