Dave
Wow it really sounds like a mess, logically you would charge the customer
for your time but ethically or morally or as a humanitarian you would
discount the cost, l have been in your shoes and it is a difficult
position. I would have a conversation with the customer detailing your time
and costs and come up with a number. Sure you can say it's this much and
that's it but we are all in business to stay in business so customer
satisfaction and good words go a long way to referrals.
Jerry