Hi William -

Check out the Solarpro Magazine archive May/June 2017 issue page 34: it
addresses "functional grounded PV systems."

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/d49ff9_ccc99efe7b344f6a945ca2e00f8a71d8.pdf

And the definition found in 2017 NEC 690.2:

[image: image.png]
Yes, the normally grounded white conductor might be hot during a fault
condition. Is it safe? Well, it's not that great of a setup but I think
it's the lesser of all evils constrained by the relatively old school
inverter technology. I'm a huge believer in the benefits in the new high
voltage batteries such as the LG Chem product that can be wired up with
#10s and have integrated safety features built in to the battery enclosure.
Surely this must be the future.

To answer your question, we do almost all grid tied systems up here in the
San Francisco Bay Area. We've been installing the Tesla Powerwall 2 with
about 50% of our PV systems - it's been a widely popular product.
Historically, we installed a few Sunny Island AC coupled (and a few Outback
and Schneider XW) systems annually.

August
Luminalt