Given the DC voltage sag I have to wonder how a bank of lithium batteries
would react as if I understand correctly they maintain the same voltage
through out their entire range of SOC.

Christopher

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 1:19 PM Ray <r...@solarray.com> wrote:

> I've run a 3 Hp pump on a pair of VFX 3648s, but then the 2nd issue was DC
> voltage sag from the batteries.  We had a string of Rolls 5000s that could
> not keep the voltage high enough below 70% SOC.  Be sure to have plenty of
> battery behind this system.  Also you might look into the soft start
> controllers,  I've used some from Franklin that were a cheaper option than
> a bigger inverter.
>
> Ray Walters
> Remote Solar
> 303 505-8760
>
> On 7/26/19 7:32 AM, Jeff Clearwater wrote:
>
> Thanks Ray and Jerry,
>
> Great to hear from you both with your years of combined experience :)
>
> So yes looking at the 5 sec has me switching back to a trusty Radian - even
> then from what you are saying it may not work.
>
> And you are right Ray -  Outback is careful to rate the "overload
> capability" in KVA rather than KW due most likely to voltage sag of course.
>
> So this 53 LRA 2 HP motor - if I can only trust the 5 second (50 A) might
> not start - especially with other loads on the system?
>
> RADIAN SURGE RATINGS:
>
> Maximum Output Current
> 1 ms peak 100 Amps AC at 240 VAC, 200 Amps AC at 120 VAC
> 100 ms RMS 70.7 Amps AC at 240 VAC
>
> Overload Capability
> 100 ms surge 16.97 kVa
> 5 seconds 12 kVa
> 30 minute 9 kVa
>
> Other's experience with 2 HP sewage pump or well pump motors on a Radian?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeff
>

> Ray wrote on 7/25/19 5:48 PM:
>
> I only look at the 5 sec and 30 sec surge ratings to get an idea what an
> inverter can really do in the real world.  All those millisecond ratings/
> in rush current specs won't get a pump or motor started, and will basically
> just get you into trouble.  The reason they have those ratings in amps and
> not watts, is that the voltage craters during that 100mS surge.
>
> I can't tell you how many times we tried to start a pump, compressor, or
> large table saw, and the inverter just shut off, even though the "in rush
> current" was within the theoretical inverter capacity.  Actual Wrench list
> testimonials are much more valuable than those arcane specs.
>
> Ray Walters
> Remote Solar
> 303 505-8760
>
> On 7/25/19 5:15 PM, Jeff Clearwater wrote:
>
> Hey There Wrenches,
>
> So be advised that after a little research the SW dual stack will NOT
> double the surge ratings of a single SW.
>
> But that brings me to my second question:
>
> What inverter surge rating should one refer to when looking at maximum
> Inrush or LRA - 1ms?  100ms?  1 sec?
>
> Your engineering wisdom welcomed!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff
>

> Jeff Clearwater wrote on 7/23/19 8:27 PM:
>
> Thanks for the tip!  I'll check the firmware.
>
> Dave Angelini Offgrid Solar wrote on 7/22/19 9:11 AM:

> [...]

Chris Schaefer’s
<http:www.solarandwindfx.com>

*Tel/Fax 585-229-2083 or Cell 585-748-1870 *
*5115 South Hill Road ~ Canandaigua New York 14424**www.solarandwindfx.com
<http://www.solarandwindfx.com> ~ E-mail: ch...@solarandwindfx.com
<ch...@solarandwindfx.com>*

Thomas Jefferson, the author of our great Constitution, once said,
"democracy" will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not."