All, the engineer came back with 705.22(4) to back up his request. I think that's the end of it.  Per code he is right but since the inverter is only capable of 25 amps, the only time the 30 amp disco would see more than 30 amps is if the inverter was shorted.  If that's the case opening the 30 amp disco at that time could cause failure.  Pretty unlikely event. Although I think installing a 60 on this circuit is an overabundance of caution but I'll be installing a 60 amp disco on this one.

Best,
Greg Egan
Remote Power Inc.