Bill
The meter main is an UL approved product, any alterations may effect that
in the eyes of the inspector or PG&E. I have done a breakout panel where l
was exceeding the 20% rule but a 128 amp still may be an issue. The break
out panel is a connection where there are breakers all around to protect
all the connections. You need to confirm that PG&E will require a disco,
you might to eliminate a breaker though. The breakout panel is not always
approved either. Can you upgrade the panel with dual 200 amp outputs, one
goes to a breaker bus and the other just taps out. This would be less of a
liability issue l would think also. These panels do what you want and are
UL Approved.
Jerry